I finally had all the materials I needed: my old door and two amazing sawhorses.
Unfortunately, the sawhorses were just a bit too tall to be the right height for a desk. Since sawhorses are on an angle, cutting them wasn’t as easy as I originally thought it would be. I mentioned earlier that I married an engineer. My husband was enlisted.
Next—time to use some elbow grease! We washed and sanded and removed the paint from the door.
It was surprisingly stubborn, but finally the wood grain could be seen. We decided to stain the legs ebony and the desk top natural.
Three coats of polyurethane later, and we were ready to construct the desk.
We used angle irons to fix the door to the sawhorses. We were lucky that the door we found fit perfectly and was easy to attach—I was right to be so particular!
We moved the desk into our office, where I use it every day. It is a fun and functional addition to our home!